robmausser

Car subwoofer project

So, lets just all ignore the fact that I havent posted anything on my blog for the better part of 2 years, and continue moving forward.

I am terrible at keeping a routine, and just totally forgot about this. But I will be updating this blog theme as well as my portfolio site very soon so I thought I should get back into it.

Recent project I have been working on is a subwoofer for my car.

The enclosure. Built out of 1" MDF. I used a program to determine the correct size and demensions, as well as tuning 4 bass reflex ports.

The enclosure. Built out of 1″ MDF. I used a program to determine the correct size and dimensions, as well as tuning 4 bass reflex ports.

Sound dampaning material.

Sound dampening material.

I used silicone calking on the entire thing, and glued and screwed it together. Its especially important for a sub to be airtight.

I used silicone caulking on the entire thing, and glued and screwed it together. Its especially important for a sub to be airtight.

Another view of the enclosure

Another view of the enclosure

I've always wanted to use this stuff. Stone in a can!

I’ve always wanted to use this stuff. Stone in a can!

Here is after 2 coats. It turns out that you go through a lot of this "Make it stone" stuff. Went through 5 cans!

Here is after 2 coats. It turns out that you go through a lot of this “Make it stone” stuff. Went through 5 cans!

Here is what it looks like up close.

Here is what it looks like up close.

The sub. 500w 12".

The sub. 500w 12″.

The amp, "1000watt" (its more like 300) bridgable stereo amp.

The amp, “1000watt” (its more like 300) bridgeable stereo amp.

I bought some clearcoat to cover the enclosure with. It turns out the "stone" paint chips off easily, so this seals it up and makes it more resistant to chipping.

I bought some clearcoat to cover the enclosure with. It turns out the “stone” paint chips off easily, so this seals it up and makes it more resistant to chipping.

1st coat of Clearcoat.

1st coat of Clearcoat.

Here you can see the bass reflex ports. Four 2" ports, two of the ports are tuned to 60hz and the other 2 to 100hz.

Here you can see the bass reflex ports. Four 2″ ports, two of the ports are tuned to 60hz and the other 2 to 100hz.

Here is a closeup after the clearcoat.

Here is a closeup after the clearcoat.

Installed the Woofer

Installed the Woofer

Installed the amp

Installed the amp

I didn’t take pictures of the installation into my car, as that is a whole other can of worms, but it now has a home in my trunk and it sounds pretty damn sweet!

 

Advertisements
This entry was published on September 17, 2013 at 7:29 pm and is filed under Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s